The Witherspoon Kelley Tax Group assists clients with a wide variety of tax matters, from planning to defending reporting positions on audit. The lawyers in our group are experts in federal, state and local tax and routinely advise both business and individual clients on income, business and occupation, employment, excise, sales and property taxes. We have successfully represented clients in state and federal audits and in tax-related administrative and judicial tribunals.
Our tax lawyers also have wide-ranging experience in all aspects of business organizations. We assist business clients in minimizing their tax liability while complying with applicable laws. We are well versed in all aspects of federal taxation that apply to mergers and acquisitions. We also advise nonprofit organizations on qualification for tax-exempt status, on-going compliance, executive compensation and other aspects of their operations. In conjunction with our Health Law Group, we have assisted many health-related nonprofit and for-profit entities with joint ventures, development of research programs, mergers and other acquisitions. For our individual clients, we offer practical advice with respect to income, estate and property taxation. Whether a client needs advice on a gifting program for the reduction of estate taxes, representation to challenge a property tax assessment or advocacy in an IRS audit, the Tax Group is prepared to provide expert advice and assistance.
Areas of Emphasis:
- Business and occupation tax
- Business succession planning
- Employee benefit plans and executive compensation
- Estate and gift tax
- Federal and state tax controversies
- Like-kind exchanges
- Limited liability companies and corporations
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Real estate transactions
- Sales/use and property tax issues
- SERPs, stock options or restricted stock, SARs, deferred compensation plans or agreements, or a combination of woven plans
- Tax advice and IRS qualification for non-profit organizations
- Internal Revenue Code Section 409A compliance