Stanley M. Schwartz
- J.D., Gonzaga University, 1984, Gonzaga Law Review Technical Editor
- B.A., University of Denver, 1980
Stanley Schwartz has been recognized as one of the country’s Best Lawyers in Land Use & Zoning, Municipal, and Real Estate law. Best Lawyers, a partner publication of U.S. News & World Report, is the oldest and most respected peer-review journal in the legal profession.
Stanley practices in the areas of land use, municipal, real estate, environmental, and corporate law. He represents public (cities, counties, special purpose districts) and private parties (individuals, partnerships, corporations) in the above areas of law, as well as, serving as general counsel to an electric company and City Attorney for two cities in Washington.
His work includes public projects such as development of a sports and entertainment arena, convention facilities and associated surface and parking garages to private commercial and industrial developments (ranging from 100,000 square feet to 2,000,000 square feet). He has special expertise in real estate development, land use entitlements, permits and related transactional, administrative, and litigation issues.
For 15 years, Stanley was employed by the City of Spokane as an Assistant City Attorney, representing the City departments of engineering and construction services, zoning and planning, environmental programs, waste water management, and transportation. During his tenure, he represented the City in numerous real estate and land use issues involving the development of public and private projects, eminent domain actions, and environmental law issues.
- Licensed to practice in Washington and Idaho
- Joined Witherspoon Kelley in 2000
- Gonzaga University School of Law, Adjunct Professor of Zoning and Land Use
- Presenter of “A Short Course on Local Planning” for the Washington State Department of Commerce
- Author and presenter at Washington State Bar Association seminars and other professional associations
- City Attorney - Airway Heights and Cheney
- General Counsel - Spokane Public Facilities District and Columbia Rural Electric Association
- Incorporations of Liberty Lake, 2001, and Spokane Valley, 2003
- Pinecrest Homeowners Association v. City of Spokane, Court of Appeals Case No. 20916-4 (2003) (Zoning)
- Spokane Research and Defense Fund v. City of Spokane, 96 Wn.App. 568 (1999) (Lease disclosure)
- Priorities First v. City of Spokane, 93 Wn.App. 406 (1998) (Legality of initiative as to reelection of public officials)
- C.L.E.A.N. v. City of Spokane, 133 Wn.2d 455 (1997) (Spokane downtown redevelopment)
- Washington State Bar Association – Land Use and Environmental Law Section and Corporate Counsel
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington and Idaho District Court
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals