John M. Riley III
Primary Practice: Real Estate
- J.D., Gonzaga University, 1979
- B.A., Whitman College, 1975
John Riley has been a Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers since 2006. John’s practice has an emphasis in real estate litigation and real estate transactions for businesses. Prior to joining Witherspoon Kelley, he served as in-house counsel for First American Title Insurance Company of Spokane.
John has broad experience in all areas of real estate law. He has tried many cases successfully before administrative agencies, governmental boards, and in state, federal, and bankruptcy courts. He regularly represents clients on matters related to land use planning; title insurance; banking; condominiums; sales; leasing; brokerage; environmental issues; water rights; federal housing law and construction.
John Riley has been recognized as one of the country’s Best Lawyers in Real Estate law since 1995 by Best Lawyers, a partner publication to U.S. News & World Report.
- Licensed to practice in Washington and Oregon
- Joined Witherspoon Kelley in 1986
- Zunino v. Rajewski, 140 Wash.App. 215, 165 P.3d 57 (2007) (Easements)
- Harrison v. Crain, 150 Wash.2d 1027, 82 P.3d 242 (2004) (Mineral rights)
- Old National Bank of Washington v. Arneson, 54 Wash.App. 717, 776 P.2d 145 (1989) (Rights of first refusal)
- Washington State Bar Association Land Use Section
- Washington State Bar Association Real Property, Probate and Trust Section, Chair, 1998-1999
- Certified Commercial Investment Member
- American Land Title Association
- Washington Land Title Association
- Washington State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Chair 1987-1988
- Progressions Credit Union, Board of Directors, 1995-2010
- Bankruptcy Bar Association