Thomas D. Cochran
Primary Practice: Litigation
- J.D., Gonzaga University, 1975, magna cum laude, Gonzaga Law Review Editor, Law Dean’s Medal
- B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Washington, 1972 & Santa Clara University, 1968-1969
Thomas Cochran specializes in complex commercial litigation. He has extensive experience involving representation of financial institutions and their subsidiaries, class-action defenses, and construction-related disputes.
Thomas has represented various financial institutions for over 30 years in the areas of construction and development loans, commercial transactions, fraud claims, recoveries and workouts. He also represents contractors and other construction-industry clients including owners, contractors, general contractors, subcontractors, sureties, designers, design teams, suppliers, architects, and engineers in disputes stemming from the development, construction and use of various facilities and all other types of private and public project-related construction matters.
Thomas handles a wide range of construction disputes in state and federal courts as well as for the American Arbitration Association (AAA), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and private arbitrations and mediations. He has successfully litigated bid protests, contractor and designer claims, declaratory judgment actions, mechanics’ liens and disputes with bonding companies concerning completion of projects.
His civil engineering degree provides practical skills in investigating and evaluating construction-related claims and applying industry principles. Thomas is skilled and experienced in all phases of negotiation, trial preparation and presentation, and appellate advocacy. When conflicts develop, he has the expertise to develop practical solutions and to provide the skills necessary for successful resolution of complicated issues that arise in class-action and construction projects involving multiple parties.
- Licensed to practice in Washington
- Joined Witherspoon Kelley in 1975
- Serves as head of Construction practice group
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- American Arbitration Association, National Panel of Arbitrators and Mediators
- Inland Northwest AGC, Associate Member
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), National Panel of Securities Arbitrators